If I could work on my project again I would make sure I left plenty of time to do each assignment because last year I struggled sticking to deadlines and it took me a long time to make a final decision on my final idea therefore I wish I left myself more time to prepare. As well as time keeping, I struggled using the equipment for the podcast because it is the first time I ever even attempted to make a podcast therefore I wish I used the time I had to experiment.
I have been looking over the work I have completed throughout my time at college and picked out a couple that I am particularly proud of:
Recently our print publishing class were given the opportunity to work for a client which was a charity company in Bath called The Nest Project, their aim is to support children and families in Bath and North East Somerset by giving away clothes and equipment to children from the ages 0-5. We were given a brief to create an activity calendar for the children. Each member of the class were given a couple of months to design, I was given June and July, before I began to design these months I had to think about what activities I should include to make it relevant to the months. For June I drew a tree and had the mascot standing on the branches, the activity consists of colouring in the branch. I designed a beach for July and the task was to draw objects you can find on the beach. Using illustrator to design the calendar pages allowed me to experiment with that particular software, I sometimes found it a bit tricky because I am used to using InDesign however they're quite similar in many aspects which made it easier for me.
Working for a client added extra pressure especially considering I am used to doing my college work for my lecturers with their help if it's needed however the client gave us a list of brand guidlines that we had to stick to as well as making the product suitable and appropriate for the company. The pressure was emense but it made us students determind to work to the best of our ability.
Work experience with the Bath Chronicle is something I am proud of because I now have a better understanding of what it is like to work for a media based company, I gained some crucial skills that will help me for higher education and working in the industry, for example, sticking to deadlines and working under pressure. During my placement throughout the second year of college I created a short video showing my personal favourite independent coffee shops in Bath, I followed this up with an article. Working with a friend for this task was helpful because we bounced off each others ideas and combined our skill to produce both a video and written piece. I really enjoyed these tasks because I had the opportunity to come up with my own idea of the work I would produce for the company. Coffee is massively popular therefore the audience for the article and video isn't particularly limited; Personally I love coffee as well so working on a project that I am passionate about makes me even more motivated to do well.
What goes best with a cup of coffee? Another cup.
“Discover, order and pay.”
Queueing
is a thing from the past with Ordable, a Bath based app that allows you
to order and pay in advance at your local independent cafes and coffee
shops. Browse the menu of your favourite coffee shop from the comfort of
your own home, or on the go. Place your order and pick it up at a time
suitable for you. Ordable will also reward you allowing you to earn
loyalty points.
Whether you don’t have time to wait or simply hate standing in a long line, ordering ahead with Ordable is the solution.
We
were interested in finding out how the idea of Ordable came about so we
spoke to Tom, the co-founder of the interactive app, “I had the idea
when I was sat in a cafe and I wanted to order something else but
noticed that there was a long queue so I thought if only there was a way
to send the staff an order using my smartphone.”
The
plan is to take the app beyond Bath, Tom highlighted Bristol and London
as cities that they would like to include. Ordable received additional
investment from Simpleweb, a Bristol based technology development agency
and the team at Ordable can’t wait to get it set up in more and more
cafes and coffee shops.
Talking about coffee inspired us to visit our 5 favourite independent coffee shops in Bath.
Established
coffee shops can be found anywhere in the UK but looking out for a
unique company is something we thrive on. Bath has a lot to offer when
it comes to coffee shops so we explored the streets and came up with a
list of our 5 personal favorite exclusive shops. As well as being lucky
enough to taste a delectable coffee and cake in each shop we went to we
were able to experience each individual quirky atmosphere.
Firstly,
we headed into the Society Cafe with a warm welcome from the friendly
staff, the cafe has a great social vibe. The coffee is sourced from all
over the UK and the company are always finding something exciting and a
little different. We had the opportunity to speak to a member of staff
who told us about why they think the Society Cafe is different to other
competitors, “we make it all about the customer and want to make people
happy.”
Mokoko
is a friendly pocket-sized cafe close to Bath Spa train station, they
provide a choice of coffee, tea, smoothies and cakes. Perfect for when
you are in a rush. The staff provide excellent customer service and
always serve with a smile on their face.
Afterwards
we popped into Boston Tea Party, a modern independent cafe. As we
indulged in our locally produced coffee, we noticed that the cafe was
flooded with customers which created a lovely atmosphere. An
enthusiastic member of staff spoke about the uniqueness of the cafe, “It
is all about the relationship with our coffee and knowing our
customers.”
Jacob’s
Coffee House provides speciality coffee and the finest cakes close to
the Bath Abbey, positioned in the heart of Bath. We particularly enjoyed
the quirky layout with the seating upstairs, enjoying a social meeting
in a peaceful environment is an aspect that we appreciate.
Finally
we enjoyed a hot chocolate and a brownie in The Forum Bath coffee
house, the latest addition to the The Forum Venue, Bath's largest
auditorium and live venue. They offer a great deal of space within the
cafe, the modern feel highlights the independence of the shop. We
thought that the location of the coffee shop was spot on, being just
round the corner from South Gate, this venue is great for a coffee
break. Speaking to the manager allowed us to get a feel of the staff’s
passion and love for their coffee shop. “The customers are so nice, it’s
like a community.”
Video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6KeUV9Tl4JXRXRLVGQ0cm15Zlk/view?usp=sharing


No comments:
Post a Comment