Monday, 18 April 2016

Practical, Theoretical and Technical issues

Product

I have discussed with a lecturer that the best idea for me would be to just design the theoretical branded shoe box because being able to print out the design on cardboard is out of the budget and it will be difficult to find somewhere to print. The outcome for the shoe box will therefore most likely be an example of what the branded shoe box will look like before printing. The end of year show gives each student the opportunity to show off what they have been working on over the year and it will be disappointing if I can't show the shoebox as the final product. As well as the shoe box, a branded drawstring bag will part of my project, in order to brand the bag, I will be finding a way to place the final logo onto the bag, hopefully I will be able to iron it on however that will only work if the two different materials are compatible.

Updates

I have had a lot of thought about the end of year show and I have previously said that printing a shoe box would be too much of a problem however I have received feedback from a lecturer that knows a lot about package design and the method of printing. The lecturer has offered for me to use the lasor machine in a serperate departent, he has given me an idea of the biggest scale possible that I can print on cardboard (35.5cm - 22.5cm). I have experimented with these measurements on InDesign which has made me realise that the lasor cutter wouldn't be able to produce a package big enough to fit trainers in. Showing of my products at the end of year show is important therefore I am considering printing the shoe box at a samller scale than a regular shoebox, this way I can show examples of what the shoe box would look like as well as printing off more than one, I can use this as an opportunity to print out a range of different colours and styles to suit everyone.

Marketing 


Snapchat is the main platform for my marketing campaign, marketing is a massive part of making a successful product therefore I plan to make a snapchat account for my brand that could theoretically be shown on the discover page, snaps of the trainers would be demonstrated in the form of a story. As I have said, this is mainly a theoretical idea because obviously  I am unable to officially put my brand onto the snapchat page so I have struggled to think of a way that I can demonstrate my idea.

Specific Issues 
 

Throughout the process, I have been faced with a number of issues, especially when it came to planning and physically making the branded shoebox, firstly, I visited Digiprint to see if they were able to print onto A1 cardboard or thick paper, unfortunately the paper wasn’t thick enough for my proposed box however the customer adviser gave me an example of the thickest paper they could print on but the biggest size they could do was only A3. If I printed my design onto A3 then the box would be a similar size to my prototypes and I wouldn’t have a finished design. 



I then began to experiment with a new technique, I split the net roughly into 11, once I had split the net into various sections, I opened up the document in Adobe Acrobat and that allowed me to look at each section close up as well as letting me manipulate parts of the file in order to make it easier for me to print. After printing off the 11 pages onto A3 paper, I attempted to put the sections together however they didn't quite fit which resulted in me finding it near enough impossible to create a final product using this technique.

Eventually, I came up with my final idea of putting the box together by using spray mount glue to place the paper onto the cardboard which was a more convenient alternative to finding a way of printing directly onto cardboard. I then cut around the outline of the net using a scalpel and ruler and folded it into place and used spray mount to secure the flaps together.

No comments:

Post a Comment