Wednesday, 20 April 2016

Research Outcome - How Does It Affect My Idea?

Before beginning the research for unit 13, I had looked at a variety of different books that taught all about package design which was extremely useful for me considering it isn't something I have learnt about before. Researching into companies such as Apple and Nike made me feel more confident about my project because before I hadn't thought twice about package designs, I thought that costumers only cared about the product inside however the package is the first thing they see and making a good impression is crucial. When I came up with the idea of using a bag as well as the package that holds the product I remembered that when I previously bought an item from Apple, I was given drawstring bag with the package, I believe this is an effective way increasing customer satisfaction by making the the product easier to carry. This is exactly why I will be designing a drawstring bag to carry my brand of trainers, the bag is especially relevant to my idea because the customer can use the bag when they go out for a run or to the gym, it will also promote the brand.

As well as looking into package design, I had a look online at previous successful marketing campaigns to give me inspiration and to look at what has worked and what hasn't. I found online articles that listed popular and successful marketing campaigns through social media to connect with the target audience.

Conducting secondary research has made an immense impact on my idea and it has given a clear idea of how I am going to continue with my project from now on; reading a particular online article made me realise that using social networking sites such as Snapchat and Twitter will be a safe way to market my brand, so far the social networking app has been successful for other companies and I believe it fits in well with the theme of my project.

Primary research is easier for me to access the exact information that I am looking for, I took full advantage of this and asked a group of people to answer a few questions about their view on the importance of package design as well as what they expect from a package. The research took form as a focus group, I recorded the conversation and posted it in a previous blog. For my focus group, I used 5 students from my College, 2 boys and 3 girls.

The response I received from the students was extremely helpful, all students apart from one highlighted that if the package design was particularly impressive, they would be more interested in the product and that a good package can increase sales. The other student mentioned that he didn't have much interest in the package, he said that if he wanted a product, the packaging wouldn't effect his overall decision. I completely understand his concern however I believe that a good package design will leave a good impression on a customer. I asked my peers if they would prefer a pair of shoes to come in a shoebox, a bag, or both. A shoebox inside a bag was the most popular answer, examples such as JD Sports and Apple were mentioned, both of these brands normally provide the customer with a box and a bag. Originally the plan was for me to create two separate packages however considering the feedback was positive for using the packages together, I believe that is the route I will go down for my project.

The feedback I received has encouraged me to focus on perfecting the presentation of my packages considering the feedback I received was mainly focused on the importance of an attractive design that compliments the product inside.



No comments:

Post a Comment