In my previous blog post I spoke about my printing plan, I highlighted that the laser cutter in College isn't big enough to cut out a standard size shoebox. Originally I said that I will be printing out prototypes of the package and put those on display at the end of year show; since having the idea of smaller packages, I have been thinking of possible ways around this so I can stick to my idea of a life sized shoebox and I am now considering looking around to see if I can get the box printed on A1 thick paper/cardboard, once I have the net printed I can then cut it out and fit the box together free hand.
Package Net
First of all, I opened up Illustrator and changed the size of the page to A1. I researched the size of a typical shoebox and decided that the package will have an area of 30cm x 18cm with a height of 13cm therefore I entered these measurements into Illustrator and began to put the net together.
I designed the flaps on iIllustrater so I could fold them into each other to fit the box together, I found this process quite difficult because I didn't have specific measurements for them meaning I had to estimate the sizes. I was pleased with the finished net because after a few trial and error sessions of fitting the box together, it finally worked out and I was happy with how the box looked.
I printed the net on an A4 piece of paper, cut it out with scissors and started folding it into place. The shape of the box was how I was hoping it was going to turn out and I can now imagine what the finished product will look like. As well as using the prototype to test out the dimensions, it is also helpful to experiment with the placement of my branded logo and the snapchat logo. I am happy with how my personal logo looks on the box however the snapchat logo looks too big for the box, I can only imagine how much bigger it will look on the larger box therefore I will shrink it down before printing off my final copy.


Experimentation has been such an important part of my project so far, if I didn't play around with different methods then I wouldn't have been able to improve my work. I have considered a different way of putting the net together, I simplified the net so it will be easier for me to cut out on the final cardboard. Instead of fitting the net together with flaps, I have welcomed the idea of using glue to put it together, this is likely to make the finished product look neat and it will be less complicated for me to put together. As you also may be able to notice on the images below, I have made the outline a light grey colour because I didn't want to make the finished package look messy with prominent dark lines around the folds of the box.

Throughout criteria 3.1 and 3.2, I have been able to experiment with a range of techniques and analyis what has gone wrong so I can activley alter my project to improve it. I think that this criteria has been the most useful in terms of making progress to the project because I've been continiously making updates and I now have a clear idea of what I have to do to complete it to the best of my ability. Before starting the criteria I was struggling a lot because I thought that it was going to be near enough impossible for me to make a realistic shoebox because as I have also mentioned in previous blog posts, I don't have any experience with package design and I was unsure that I was able to budget the production however after assessing what has gone wrong for me, I have realised that it is possible for me find a way around the errors and eventually end the College year with a product that I am proud of.
Criteria 4.1 was the last section of work to complete before creating and submitting my final product so it was my last chance to plan how I was going to carry out the production, firstly I made a production schedule to create a structured visual plan for myself, it also allows the lecturers to get a good understanding of what tasks I will be carrying out each week, up until the deadline. After making the schedule, I then designed my branded logos, I started this process by drawing a bunch of sketches to get a good idea of the style I was after, using Illustrator, I then designed a range of logos using different fonts and sizes until I was finally happy with a design. When I had a final logo design I was able to picture how I wanted my packages to look like. 4.1 has been a vital part of my project the criteria has forced me to plan, design and publish the key ideas for my project.
No comments:
Post a Comment